Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel

The battleship was given the name 'Bismarck', in honor of German Chancellor Otto von Bismarck, the unifier German 'blood and iron'. August 24, 1940 was held on the adoption of a ready command of Kriegsmarine ships, and over the 'Bismarck' was raised a flag with a – the battleship was commissioned the German navy. Commander of the ship was appointed Ernst Lindemann. The very next day, standing on a dock ship was raised by the first air-raid alarm. There has been a shooting of anti-aircraft guns, but it ended without any consequences. Before Surgery 'Reynbung' (see below) on the 'Bismarck' was raised another four air alarm. 'Bismarck' first went to sea 15 September 1940.

Upon reaching the destination, give the anchor a battleship at anchor Brunsbettel. September 16 the ship was towed through the Kiel Canal in Kiel, and the arrival of the battleship moorings in the harbor gave Sheerhafn. This was followed by sea trials in the Baltic Sea in October-November 1940. December 9, 1940 'Bismarck' was in Hamburg, where he was prepared to swimming, followed by a return to Kiel, where the ship moored at the dock number 9 shipyards 'Deutsche Veerke'. At the battleship was made loading ammunition, water, food.

Also on board adopted two ejection seaplanes 'Arado-196'. From March 18 to April 1, 1941 in the Baltic Sea were routine tests battleship before the first war patrol. The next day, 'Bismarck' took two more 'Arado-196'. May 5, 1941, two weeks before the start of the operation 'Reynbung', 'Bismarck' visited the Third Reich Fuhrer Adolf Hitler, accompanied by Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel and Admiral Gunther Lyutens.